The mission of the Shelby County Dental Society is to represent the concerns of ethnic minorities in dentistry, to elevate the global oral health concerns of under served communities, to enhance educational and financial opportunities, and public policy awareness, for its members, and to recruit underrepresented minorities into the profession through advocacy and mentorship.
Dr. Ashley Williams
Shelby County Dental Society, President
The goals of the Shelby County Dental Society are to improve the delivery of oral health care in underserved communities and to improve the educational opportunities of minorities underrepresented in the oral health field.
The specific objectives of the Shelby County Dental Society are to:
- Establish the Shelby County Dental Society as the vanguard of oral health in communities of color
- Perpetuate the tradition and upgrade the stature of African American dentists in service to the minority community
- Increase the number of minorities in dentistry in areas of private practice, academia, administration, re-search, health policy, media advocacy and the armed services
- Provide members with opportunities for continued education, collaborative research, leadership training, and business networking
- Inform health policy, interface with legislators, and influence legislation that affects minority consumers and providers
- Support members in transition from dental student to dental professionals to retirees
- Strengthen alliances with other health organizations, community groups, national coalitions and corporations committed to the SCDS ideals
Ashley S. Williams, DDS
Shelby County Dental Society
4520 Elvis Presley Blvd.
Memphis, TN 38116